Welcome From Janet Berman, MS, LCGC, Director of Genetic Counseling
Most of our patients come to RADfertility for one simple reason – they want to build their family. The last thing on their minds is genetic risk. The field of genetics is constantly changing and my role is to help our patients walk through the growing options of genetic testing that are available.
My journey to becoming a genetic counselor started in high school biology when I learned the field combined my two interests of genetics and statistics. This led to a 17-year career working in a hospital health system doing prenatal counseling and evolved to preconception counseling. My transition to RADfertility allows me to combine this knowledge of preconception counseling with prenatal counseling because we care for patients into their first trimester of pregnancy.
Counseling sessions typically involve reviewing your complete family medical history, discussing genetic testing options and reviewing genetic test results when they become available. Considering genetic risks for future children is an important part of your infertility evaluation and treatment plan.
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your journey. I strive to work as a team and make you feel comfortable serving as a resource reviewing your options. I hope to empower you on your journey by understanding information which helps you make decisions that are best for you and your family.
National Society of Genetic Counselors “Master of Science in Genetic Counseling Program Outstanding Supervisor Award,” 2018
Arcadia University Alumni “Top 40 Under 40” Award, 2017
Co-founder of the First Annual Philadelphia Prenatal Diagnosis Update Conference
Background & Education
BS: summa cum laude, Biology, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, PA
MS: Genetic Counseling, with Distinction, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA
Certified: Genetic Counselor, American Board of Genetic Counselors
Member: National Society for Genetic Counselors, NSGC Prenatal Special Interest Group
Publications, Abstracts, & Book Chapters
Janet Berman has authored multiple peer-reviewed publications, poster presentations, and book chapters.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Geifman-Holtzman, O, Ober Berman, J, Ashkinadze, E, Jackson, L. First Annual Philadelphia Conference on Prenatal Diagnosis Update. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics 4(6), 619-624 (2009).
- Geifman-Holtzman, O and Ober Berman, J. Prenatal diagnosis: Update on invasive versus noninvasive diagnostic testing from maternal blood. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics 8(6), 727-751(2008).
- Conway L, Petterson A, Mighion L, and Berman J. An Investigation of Compassion Fatigue Amongst Prenatal Genetic Counselors (2018). Presented at the American College of Medical Genetics Annual Clinical Genetics Meeting 2018, 2018-04-10 (1), Charlotte, NC: https://clinicianinsights.com/document.php?docid=PE20180420420000032&datasource=PHE&trans=view&dual=1
- Maher L, Mulla W, and Ober Berman J. Discordant results of prenatal testing in which a rare sex chromosome aneuploidy is present (2016). Oral presentation at the 8th Philadelphia Prenatal Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Xiong Y, Berman J, Weiner S, Carre A, Seligman N, Steinbach G, and Geifman-Holtzman O. Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) Registry-Patients’ Results and Providers’ Perspectives (2015). Presented at the 2015 Society for Gynecologic Investigation (SGI)/Society for Reproductive Investigation (SRI) 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Geifman-Holtzman O, Berman J, Xiong, Y, Carre A, Ness A, Fang M and Weiner S. Noninvasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) Registry-Patients’ Results and Providers’ Perspectives (2014). Presented at the Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine 34th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- Geifman-Holtzman O, Berman J, Ness A, Cohen A, Fischer R, Carre A, and Weiner S. NIPDT Registry-A Critical Utilization of Non-Invasive Prenatal Diagnosis Test Recently Introduced into Clinical Practice. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1(Suppl), S254 (2013). Presented at the Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine 33rd Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
- Bomba K, Conway L, Ober Berman J. Barriers Towards Perinatal Autopsies, Journal of Genetic Counseling 20(6), 755 (2011). Presented at the National Society for Genetic Counselors 30th Annual Education Conference, San Diego, CA
- Hart L, Ober Berman J, Bhattacharya A, Jackson L, Xiong Y, Montgomery O, Geifman-Holtzman O. Maternal Plasma as a Source for Fetal DNA is Better than Fetal Cells for Noninvasive Prenatal Diagnosis of Single Gene Disorders. Reproductive Sciences 17(3), 37 (2010). Presented at 2010 SGI 57th Annual Scientific Meeting, Orlando, FL
- Ober Berman J, Bermudez Wagner K, Xiong Y, Geifman-Holtzman O. Accuracy of Noninvasive Prenatal Diagnosis of Fetal Single Gene Disorders from Maternal Blood. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 199(6), S178 (2008). Presented at The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine 29th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA & The Fifth Annual Women’s Health Interdisciplinary Research Symposium, Temple University, PA
- Jeronis S, Singh K, Hanlon A, Ober J, Kinsler K, Hernandez E, Geifman-Holtzman O. Elevated Values of Maternal Serum AFP are Predictive of Different Categories of Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 197(6), S170 (2007). Presented at The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine 28th Annual Meeting, Dallas, TX
Ober Berman, J. “Pregnancy and infectious diseases.” In Infectious Diseases and Conditions, edited by H. Bradford Hawley, Salem Press, 2011
Ober Berman, J. “Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker syndrome.” In Infectious Diseases and Conditions, edited by H. Bradford Hawley, Salem Press, 2011
Ober Berman, J. “Echovirus infection.” In Infectious Diseases and Conditions, edited by H. Bradford Hawley, Salem Press, 2011
Ober Berman, J. “Coxsackie virus infections.” In Infectious Diseases and Conditions, edited by H. Bradford Hawley, Salem Press, 2011
Ober Berman, J. “Sickle cell anemia.” In Genetics and Inherited Conditions, edited by Jeffrey A. Knight. Revised ed. Salem Press, 2010
Request an Appointment
If you would like to schedule an appointment, please let us know which dates and times work for you. A Patient Navigator will contact you to confirm your appointment.
Take Our Fertility Assessment
Are you wondering if it's time to talk to a fertility doctor? Complete our fertility assessment and you will receive a personalized response from one of our fertility experts.
Get a Second Opinion
Second opinions can provide new possibilities on your journey. Call (302) 602-8822 to speak to one of our Patient Navigators and schedule a second opinion consult.
"I feel so lucky to have found RADfertility. I tried two other clinics before I expanded my search and found RADfertility. I drive an hour each way to go to them but I don’t regret a thing. They are so caring and so professional. Every time I message them they respond quickly. Every time I see them they have a friendly smile and warm welcome. They explain everything so well and I never feel lost in the process as I did elsewhere. They also took the time to figure out what was wrong. Other clinics threw up their hands, said 'I don’t know' and pushed me to try IVF."
"Dr. Feinberg and the entire staff at RADfertility are absolutely amazing. The receptionists, coordinators, nurses, and lab staff are compassionate, caring, and straight forward. I’ve had a 12-year infertility journey and I’ve tried other clinics but RADfertility was the only one I felt at ease with. They answered any questions that I had and were there any time I needed them. My coordinator, Amy, was the absolute best and always had my back. Dr. Feinberg’s dedication to his patients is incredible. You are not just a number there, you are a person with individualized needs and care."
"My journey with RADfertility and Dr. McGuirk started when my husband and I were trying to conceive and were having difficulty. We went to RADfertility, where we met Dr. McGuirk. I always say she changed my life and 'fixed' me. Dr. McGuirk is always learning more about endometriosis and how to help her patients. She’s brilliant and truly cares for you! I’m eternally grateful to her and everyone at RADfertility for their unwavering support, love, and care."
"Every step of our journey was tailored to us. We were treated so respectfully. Every detail was clearly explained and we felt so comfortable. Rhonda Wright was a Godsend and inspiring. I highly recommend this place! I cried when my weekly appointments were done and I 'graduated.'"
"The staff and doctors are amazing. It will feel like home every time you walk in the door. They gifted us with our miracle baby and we couldn’t be happier. I will always recommend RADfertility above all others!"
"RADfertility's staff has heart and provided me with exceptional health care. I knew I was in good hands and felt like we were in this together. The doctors and nursing staff always answered all of my questions and provided thorough information about all of my options. I am so fortunate and appreciative of the care that I received at RADfertility. They go above and beyond."
"I cannot begin to explain how wonderful RADfertility is. We were frustrated with trying to start a family and it not working for us. The entire team of doctors and nurses made us feel comfortable and hopeful that we would be parents. We experienced so many ups and downs but we never felt like we were on our IVF journey alone, we had our RADfertility team every step of the way. If you're looking for a supportive team on the IVF journey, look no further. RADfertility is the absolute best."
"Dr. Schillings always kept us informed and never gave up on us. She always explained our options and risks with each procedure. She called us personally when there were any issues or sensitive subjects to cover. Dr. Schillings was the first doctor that had answers for us and wanted to help us have our miracle baby!"
4735 Ogletown-Stanton Road
MAP 2, Suite 3217
Newark, DE 19713
Silverside Medical Center
2700 Silverside Road, Suite 2A
Wilmington, DE 19810
Eden Hill Medical Center
200 Banning Street, Suite 240
Dover, DE 19904